All WCB students benefit from exclusive discounts on products from Riedel, Coravin, Amble Wine and more!
WSET Spirits online courses
Each new year brings new beginnings, so we’re very pleased to announce that Wine Courses Barcelona are now offering WSET Levels 1 and 2 in Spirits in a handy online format! While we’ve provided WSET Levels 1-3 in Wines online since 2020, the addition of these new courses is in response to the increased requests from our students to boost their spirits knowledge.
WSET began the process of replacing their ‘Wines and Spirits’ certifications with separate ‘Wines’ and ‘Spirits’ courses several years ago; a decision which aimed to give better focus to each subject stream. Indeed, the ‘Wines’ certification lost its ‘and Spirits’ appendage and gained more detail; while the Spirits certifications were developed to provide clear, in-depth, specialist-level knowledge of the sector. So, whether you’re a wine buff (WSET-certified or otherwise) and looking to branch out, or a spirits aficionado looking to build your knowledge and understanding, check out this new offering. Read on to find out more!
WSET Levels 1 and 2 in Spirits: What to Expect
Both WSET Levels 1 and 2 in Spirits are open to beginners, though Level 1 is an introductory course for those looking to solidify the basics, and Level 2 is a more in-depth course developing students’ knowledge and understanding of production processes, styles, and their use in cocktails. Take a quiz to find out if Level 1 or Level 2 might be more up-your-street. As with WSET’s wine certifications, the structure of the courses is clear and progressive, allowing students to ‘lock down’ each concept before moving onto the next learning outcome. The aim is to remove confusion and boost your confidence. Pass the cocktail shaker…
You can view the course specifications by clicking on the certification titles in the below table. Here’s an overview of what you’ll learn:
· The basic principles of spirit production
· The main types and styles of spirits
· How to serve spirits
· Factors affecting the flavour of spirits
· How to describe spirits using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
· How to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits ® (SAT)
· The techniques used during the four stages of spirits production: processing the raw material, alcoholic fermentation; distillation; and post-distillation operations
· How techniques used during the four stages of production determine the style of a spirit
· How local production traditions, coupled with local laws, are used to create different styles of spirits in the following categories: fruit spirits; whisky/whiskey; sugar cane spirits; tequila and mezcal; vodka; flavoured spirits (spiced rum, flavoured vodka, gin, aniseed spirits, bitter spirits/amaro, cocktail bitters, liqueurs)
· How aromatised wines are made
· How a balanced cocktail is made and examples in four notable cocktail families (the spirit-forward, the short sour, the highball and the long sour)
How do WSET online courses work?
Wine Courses Barcelona offer WSET Levels 1 to 3 in Wines, and Levels 1 and 2 in Spirits in an online format. While bookings are made with WCB and exams are taken with us in Barcelona, the courses are administrated by WSET headquarters in London. For this reason, the courses are only available in English. Your educator is based there and they are your primary point of contact. However, WCB are always here to help.
WSET Level… in Spirits
Duration of online course
Recommended study hours
E-book versions of textbook, workbook and SAT card provided
From the start date of the course, students have 1 year’s access to the online classroom and the study materials. There are multiple start dates to choose from, and multiple exam dates throughout the year. As students approach the end of their course, WCB will be in touch to offer upcoming presential exam dates to choose from.
Sample kits for the tasting modules can be purchased separately from e-tasting, or can be sourced independently by students. Why not write your tasting notes by enjoying a tipple at your favourite bar?
How to book
It’s easy! Just follow these steps:
- Visit our online booking page or click on one of the following links: WSET Level 1 in Spirits Online; WSET Level 2 in Spirits Online
- You’ll see a list of available start dates for your online course. Choose when you’d like to begin and copy the course code.
- Click ‘Register’ and paste the course code into the ‘Course Code’ box. Fill in the other details to complete your registration.
We’ll then enrol you onto the course of your choosing and (in the case of Level 2 courses) email you your access codes for your e-books. Finally, you’ll receive your log-in details directly from WSET and get started on your journey to become a Certified Spirits Expert!
Our first students are already on their way to exam success with WSET Levels 1 and 2 in Spirits. Will it be you next? Whether you’re wowed by whiskey or mad about mezcal, we think it’s time to get certified in spirits! If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to get in touch with email@example.com. We’re here to help! Now, where’s my G&T?
More articles from our blog
WCB provides professional certification, bespoke training packages and wine events for wine lovers from the world over.
Become a certified wine expert! Register today.
Grab a glass, get involved!
Wine Courses Barcelona © 2023