Who are the Wine and Spirits Education Trust?
The WSET has been educating wine professionals and enthusiasts since 1969. They have since grown from their home in London to a worldwide network of 700+ Approved Programme Providers. They currently operate in 75 countries, 17 languages and had a record 108,557 students sit an exam in the 2018/19 academic year. Their mission is to provide accessible, best-in-class education and qualifications to inspire and empower the world’s wine and spirit professionals and enthusiasts. The Awards are globally recognised and an invaluable asset for those in the trade. In 2015, they were awarded The Queen’s Award for Enterprise, for their achievements in reaching international markets.
Qualifications range from the Level 1 Award, teaching basic knowledge of wine and wine service; to Level 4 Diploma, an intensive two year course combining detailed wine knowledge, commercial influence and technical expertise. You can visit their website here.
Level 1 Award in Wines
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is a beginners’ course intended for people who have little or no prior knowledge of wines. It is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to wines. The qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main types and styles of wines, for example people who work with wines as part of a larger beverage portfolio in the retail and hospitality sectors.
- The WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine
- The characteristics of the Level 1 principal grape varieties
- The grape-growing and winemaking processes
- Storage and service of wine
- Health, safety and legal issues
- The pairing of food and wine
- Students must pass a 30 question closed-book multiple choice exam to gain the qualification. The exam takes place on the day of the course.
Upcoming WSET Level 1 Courses
Date: 25th January 2020
Cost: €180+IVA (@ 21%)
Registration deadline: 17th October 2019
Level 2 Award in Wines
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is intended for people who have little or no prior knowledge. It is suitable wherever a good level of wine knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in the customer service and sales functions of hospitality, retailing and wholesaling industries. It is also useful for those who have a general interest in wine and wish to broaden their knowledge.
- The WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting
- How grapes are grown for wine and other environmental factors affecting style and quality
- Winemaking, maturation and their impact on style and quality
- Characteristics and styles made from principal grape varieties
- Other regionally important wine-producing regions of the world
- Production techniques and styles of sparkling, sweet and fortified wines
- Label terminology
- Food and wine pairing
- Students must pass a 50 question closed-book multiple choice exam to gain the qualification. The exam takes place on the final day of the course.
Upcoming WSET Level 2 Courses
Date: 12th, 13th and 14th February 2020
Additional study time: 11 hours
Registration deadline: 7th November 2019
Level 3 Award in Wines
- The Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting is employed to hone and perfect tasting technique
- Factors affecting style, quality and price of wines
- How legal structures affect winemaking and styles
- In depth examination of wine-producing regions of the world
- The production of:
– Still wines
– Sparkling wines
– Sweet wines
– Fortified wines
- Student must pass both parts of a closed-book theory and tasting exam to gain the qualification. The theory exam consists of two parts: a 50 question multiple choice paper and a short written answer paper. The tasting exam consists of a blind tasting and assessment of two wines. The exam takes place on the final day of the course.
Upcoming WSET Level 3 Courses
Date: 20th & 27th April, 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th May 2020
Cost: €930+IVA (@ 21%)